AI Technology Summary
Artificial Intelligence (AI) technology is rapidly gaining popularity in the world. According to the IDC report, it is predicted the spending on AI might reach $46 billion by 2020. But, are you thinking what exactly is AI?
In the 1950s, McCarthy and Minsky described AI as tasks performed by the machine or a program. Many people believe machine learning and AI are the same thing. However, it is just a misconception; Al is different than machine learning.
In simple words, one can say machine learning is a process through which a computer can obtain a skill. While AI, it is a computer that has the ability to think on its own, without any programming.
In this post, we have shed light on benefits and outcomes of AI.
Benefits of AI
There are plenty of benefits of AI, here are few of them:
- Improve Lifestyle- by incorporating AI in society, our lifestyle can be improved, and businesses can become more efficient. For instance, mundane tasks such as answering the phone can be done by the intelligent assistants. We, humans, can focus on other tasks like decision making.
Additionally, the smart homes will not help in making your homes secure but also help in decreasing usage. In the healthcare industry, AI can help in better diagnoses and provide better treatments.
- Work Better With AI- though many people believe automation will destroy jobs, it is just a fiction. With AI technology, humans and machines can work together and perform efficiently.
- Improves Efficiency and Productive- since machines don’t need breaks, they can work continuouslywithout any distraction and getting bored.
Drawbacks of AI
When it comes to outcomes, they are still unknown. Still, we have listed some potential drawbacks of AI.
- Automation- the time is not far when everything will be automated. According to professor Moshe Vardi, in 30 years, robots and machines will perform most jobs. This will result in more than 50% of unemployment rates.
This might seem bad, but numerous scholars predicted that in future people will work for pleasure. So, whether it is a benefit or a drawback, it is not clear yet.
- AI will be smarter than humans- for a long time, people believed that one day AI will turn evil and become the biggest enemies of humans. Many intelligent people including Stephen Hawking and Elon Musk, mentioned that there should be a regulatory body to oversee the development of AI.
This is because once AI is as intelligent as humans, plenty of scary things can happen. There is a probability it might be the biggest security threat to humans.
Overall, the development of AI has come a long way, but there is still a long way to go. There are some people who believe AI will help humans solve every problem and will take us to a utopian future. On the other hand, the opponents believe that AI will be the end of human race. What do you think about AI? Let us know in the comments below.